Uncomfortable sensations during and after teeth whitening are quite common in dental practice. Such sensitivity increases significantly after eating too cold or too hot food or drinks.
If your tooth hurts when you inhale air, you need to see a specialist. Only a qualified dentist will be able to determine the cause of the discomfort, eliminate the negative phenomenon, and prescribe adequate treatment.
Ways to reduce tooth sensitivity after whitening
Symptoms of tooth sensitivity can be of varying intensity: from very weak to quite strong. Most often it is associated with the formation of microcracks on the enamel surface. As for the serious cases, the patient may feel a sharp pain, both while eating and in a quiet state.
Preliminary reduction of tooth sensitivity
Very often, dentists recommend paying attention to tooth sensitivity even before the whitening procedure. This will help to minimize discomfort during and after the procedure.
About one week before whitening your enamel, it is recommended that you use toothpaste or tooth gel which contains ingredients that help seal up microcracks. In addition, such therapeutic pastes have an analgesic effect, which also allows you to reduce the pain during the procedure.
Reduced sensitivity during professional enamel whitening
If the teeth become sensitive during the procedure, a specialist may recommend the use of special painkillers. Such products relieve pain and make the manipulation virtually insensible.
Although dentists rarely use analgesics during the lightening of tooth enamel, in some cases it is a necessity.
How can I reduce the discomfort that comes with restoring tooth enamel color?
The question “How to deal with tooth sensitivity” comes up for patients of all ages. Here are some post-whitening recommendations that will not only help to significantly reduce sensitivity, but also prolong the effect after the aesthetic procedure.
- After restoring the whiteness of the enamel, the dentist will definitely recommend a special toothpaste that will help reduce the sensitivity and eliminate the discomfort. You should not ignore the prescription, because such gels do allow you to quickly restore the normal sensitivity of the teeth when you eat hot or cold food. Typically, the sensitivity goes away in just a few days, after which you can return to using your usual cleansers.
- It is best to use room temperature water when rinsing your mouth. Too cold or hot liquid can aggravate the discomfort and prolong the recovery period. You should also pay attention to the hardness of the toothbrush. Choose only brushes with soft bristles and without rubber inserts.
- Toothpaste with an analgesic effect should be applied to the area that is most sensitive and left for a few minutes. This will not only help to lower the pain threshold, but also to consolidate the analgesic effect.
- After the procedure, it is not recommended to eat too cold or hot food for a few days. In addition to reducing sensitivity, this will help eliminate unwanted staining of the tooth enamel.
- Acids are known to damage tooth enamel. Use straws when drinking fruit juices. This will minimize contact between the acid and your teeth and prevent discomfort.
What to do after teeth whitening
After the procedure that improves the shade of the dental surface, each of us has a rational question: “What to do after teeth whitening and what is better to refrain from to make the effect last as long as possible?
In the early days after exposure the teeth become particularly sensitive to various negative factors, they need quality and constant care. There is a list of mandatory rules for compliance. It is their conscientious implementation that favors the dental rows to remain white for many months.
What dentists recommend after teeth whitening
Brush your teeth even more thoroughly than usual. Daily hygienic action is carried out in the morning and evening, as well as after each meal. The duration of the action is 3-4 minutes.
Use a brush with a soft nap, or better yet, an electric brush. Not superfluous will be to get floss (or filaments) and special brushes, which lead to order interdental spaces. Bleaching paste or powder are indispensable assistants in maintaining the achieved result.
Have regular professional cleanings. You should not ignore this service because it allows you to:
- get rid of microbial plaque;
- touch the areas of the dental tiers which are neglected during home care;
- To remove tartar;
- Prevent periodontal disease.
A dental cleaning is indicated twice a year. After it, the doctor necessarily examines the oral cavity, which contributes to the timely detection of all kinds of abnormalities.
Why are your teeth sensitive to cold and hot after whitening
Quite often people have painful teeth after whitening. What to do in such an unpleasant situation? Hyper-receptivity – this is a natural phenomenon that can bother the first, at most the second day after a whitening session. It is caused by active exposure to dental instruments and products used to improve color.
Special products (rinses and pastes) can help significantly reduce the increased sensitivity and related discomfort. If the pain is not pronounced, it is advised to just be patient, not to eat very cold or hot foods.
In the case where the pain increases and does not go away for 2-3 days, you should visit the dentist. Perhaps its cause was a cavity, gum inflammation or other serious pathology of the mouth, exacerbated against the background of the manipulation.
What is prohibited after teeth whitening
Consumption of chemically aggressive preparations which have the ability to change the shade of enamel and damage its texture is something that should not be done after teeth whitening.
The list of prohibited viands and drinks:
- Black tea, coffee, brightly colored natural juices (pomegranate, cherry, etc.);
- some spices (mustard, cardamom, soy sauce, ketchup, balsamic vinegar);
- Fresh vegetables, berries, and fruits such as beets, dark grapes, currants, and carrots.
A strict ban is imposed on the consumption of tinted sodas (e.g., cola). These are real killers even for fully healthy teeth, and after whitening they are especially harmful. The acids and pigments present in these drinks instantly negate all the dentist’s efforts.
If it is impossible to refuse the products mentioned above, you should at least rinse your mouth with water after taking them. This way, the staining and corrosive components will not stay on the surface of dental units for a long time.
Teeth whitening and bad habits
Conducting a session forces a person to get rid of some habits. Smoking in general is not good for the body, and lightened teeth will turn black very quickly if you do not stop the passion for cigarettes. The ingredients of tobacco smoke accumulate in the micropores of the enamel, which is denuded by the procedure and becomes too vulnerable.
The habit of modern people to consume large quantities of caffeine is also detrimental to the whiteness of treated teeth. It is recommended to focus your efforts on fighting this “addiction”, because the aggressive pigments of caffeine-containing drinks are instantly embedded in the dental surface and neutralize the effect that was obtained through the whitening manipulation.
How long can tooth sensitivity last
Answering the question of how long the toothache will last is extremely difficult, as such a side effect should not occur at all in patients who have prepared for the upcoming procedure.
The discomfort after whitening can last for 7-10 days. Longer discomfort should be a good reason to go to the clinic immediately!
It is important to find out why your teeth hurt after whitening. This will eliminate the source of the discomfort and avoid the development of more serious problems.
What to do if there are painful sensations?
After teeth whitening, what can I do? This question is the most popular on social media. You can tolerate a little or take a mild painkiller. If the medication does not help and the sensations intensify, it is worth applying measures.
There are a few tips to help in how to reduce tooth sensitivity after whitening:
- Drink the medication again;
- Avoid very cold or hot food for two days. Consume foods that correspond to the temperature of the human body;
- Do not eat acidic foods, especially for patients who have been hypersensitive since the early days;
- Don’t forget to take care of your teeth even during painful times. To do this, use a cotton swab, on which apply a small amount of paste;
- Use a fluoride-based toothpaste, it can relieve you from unpleasant feelings;
- Do not eat food for half an hour after manipulation.
Do not want to use medication, but do not know how to reduce tooth sensitivity after whitening? Chewing gum can help. However, the product should not contain sugar or other flavorings. The pad will help to relieve you from pain. You should chew it for 10-15 minutes, after which you should replace it. Do this until you run out of the entire pack. Many doctors believe that this is a great method of relieving pain.
How can you prevent soreness?
You don’t know how long your teeth will hurt after whitening, but the process can be made less sensitive. To do this, it is recommended:
- one month before the service, use products that reduce sensitivity;
- use a brush made of soft fluff;
- Use gels that restore enamel and reduce pain.
If you listen to these tips, the procedure will leave no consequences.
So, the stunning result of whitening can be maintained for a long period of time. It is necessary to follow simple rules of hygiene, follow a diet and overcome unhealthy habits. A whiter smile makes your face more attractive, so the effort will be totally worth it!