Ask any ice cream fan: Sensitive teeth can be a real drag. In truth, a number of things can exacerbate sensitive teeth, from food to brushing, so it can go from a small annoyance to a huge issue pretty quickly.
And although desensitizing toothpastes can assist alleviate the pain, you may wonder how to relieve sensitive teeth naturally and skip the pain next time. A couple of changes to your routine can make a big distinction in how your teeth feel, so you can get back to your regular self.
If you avoid eating cold foods or drinking hot drinks since your teeth are delicate, it may be time to get to the bottom of this painful condition.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth?
Sensitive teeth can be the result of any variety of dental problems, including genetics. Concentrating on the reason for your tooth level of sensitivity can better your understanding of how to treat it and avoid it from coming back. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), tooth level of sensitivity is typically set off when consuming hot or cold foods, and can be brought on by:
- periodontal (gum) disease
- tooth decay and exposure of roots at the gumline
- aggressive toothbrushing
- wearing away of the enamel, the difficult surface that safeguards the nerves of each tooth
If you believe your sensitive teeth are the result of dental caries, disease or infection, see your dentist. However, issues like soft enamel can be habit-based and even genetic, inning accordance with CNN, making it much easier to wear it down. So you might be able to treat level of sensitivity naturally at home.
How to Get Rid of Sensitive Teeth at Home
Understanding how to relieve delicate teeth can include solutions that may even remain in your very own hands. Specifically amending a few of your usual habits could make a difference in how your teeth feel daily. Attempt these 3 tips for much healthier, pain-free teeth:
Swap Your Tooth brush
Brushing can help keep your teeth healthy, however using a hard-bristled toothbrush or a highly abrasive toothpaste can worsen sensitive teeth. Instead, swap out your usual toothbrush for a softer item, and brush your teeth gently in a back and forth motion and throughout the biting surfaces of the teeth, rather than unpredictably. You don’t have to be harsh with your teeth; a little TLC can go a long method to lowering level of sensitivity.
Avoid Acidic Foods
Particular foods, like carbonated drinks, coffee, citrus fruits and even yogurt, can cause level of sensitivity, warns the Mayo Center. This is since acidic products can in fact be a catalyst to the wearing away of tooth enamel. Consider avoiding them completely, and if you should have your daily soda, do so by consuming through a straw to restrict the contact the liquid has with your teeth. Furthermore, do not brush your teeth right after eating or consuming acidic foods; acid softens your enamel and makes your teeth even more sensitive if brushed against too rapidly. Instead, have a glass of milk to assist reduce the effects of the acid.
Wear a Mouth Guard
Do you grind your teeth at night? If you experience sensitive teeth, you might, even if you don’t recognize it. Teeth grinding can wear away tooth enamel so they feel sore and sensitive the next day. A mouth guard can assist keep you from grinding: You can get one from your dental expert or find it in the oral care section of your drug shop. This item acts as a protective bite piece that is put on your teeth to secure the enamel, similar to those worn by professional athletes in contact sports.
If you experience sensitive teeth, tooth paste isn’t really your only choice to enjoy your favorite foods as soon as again. In truth, you can start today to take actions toward a healthier mouth and less delicate teeth in natural, simple ways. By caring for your pearly whites gently and regularly, you’ll focus on treating the cause of sensitive teeth, instead of merely responding to the pain.
Can Braces Cause Cold Sensitivity?
Some sensitivity can be normal when you have braces, but an extreme quantity is not. There are a few different things that may be causing your problem. Nevertheless, the only method it can be identified is to see a dental expert. Some of the issues that might be resulting in your cold sensitivity can consist of:
- Demineralization – This is a circumstance that takes place when people do not take correct care of their teeth while they have braces. Food that is left on the teeth might rely on acid, which eats into the teeth resulting in a weakened area or a cavity. When this takes place, your teeth can end up being very sensitive.
- Gingivitis – Another issue might be gingivitis, which is a condition where the tissue around your teeth ends up being inflamed. This should not be disregarded due to the fact that it can lead to major gum and teeth problems.
- Economic downturn – This is another gum associated issue that can lead to tooth sensitivity. Gum recession is when the gums have retreated from the crown portion of the tooth, often leading to exposure of tooth surface areas that are generally covered (root surfaces). This can be caused from brushing too tough or from a bacterial infection in the gums. When this happens, your teeth or tooth impact can end up being sensitive to cold.
- Overall Sensitivity – Some people have sensitive teeth due to the fact that the enamel is thinner. Nevertheless, because you are simply establishing the problem and it is just affecting one tooth, this is most likely not the problem.
The best way to protect your teeth from this sensitivity is to take proper care of them. Brushing your teeth just when a day is insufficient. You will likewise need to brush a minimum of two times a day, use mouthwash, and floss thoroughly each day. This is exceptionally essential when you have braces because it is a lot easier for food to obtain caught on the teeth and gums.
If you take proper care of your teeth and you are still experiencing the major sensitivity in simply one tooth, then it is a great idea to make an appointment with your orthodontist. You will need to identify the source of the sensitivity and get it fixed prior to it causes you more issues.