If you have a tooth abscess, a deeply fractured tooth or you simply had a tooth extraction or other oral surgery, you will probably experience a strong tooth pain that can not be controlled with over-the counter pain relievers.
In these cases you will need a more powerful prescription-only tooth pain medicine to ease the tooth pain.
Most Effective Painkillers for Toothache
A see to the dental expert for a prescription is needed prior to you can buy these tooth pain medicines from a drug store. The dental practitioner will inspect your condition and supply the best toothache medicine to manage the dental pain.
|Sensitive Teeth Nerve Support – Homeopathic Solution for Daily Oral Discomfort & Post-Dental Procedures – Natural Aid for Mouth & Teeth Sensitivity, Promotes Better Oral Health – By Bestmade Natural Products||$23.99 ($0.08 / Count)||Buy on Amazon|
|Dr. Barbara Hendel Relief Tablets, Periodontal and Tooth Pain, 100 Count||Buy on Amazon|
|Tylenol Extra Strength Acetaminophen Rapid Release Gels, Pain Reliever & Fever Reducer, 100 ct||$12.16 ($0.12 / Count)||Buy on Amazon|
|Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets 200 mg, Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer, Body Aches, Headache, Arthritis Pain Relief and More, 500 Count||$10.03 ($0.02 / Count)||Buy on Amazon|
|Advil Dual Action With Acetaminophen And Ibuprofen (2 Dose Equivalent) For 8 Hour Pain Relief, Coated 144 Ct Caplets And 2 Ct. Sample Of Advil PM||$23.99 ($0.17 / Count)||Buy on Amazon|
|Amazon Basic Care Naproxen Sodium Tablets 220 mg, Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer (NSAID), Muscular Aches, Backache, Headache, Toothache, Minor Arthritis Pain Relief and More, 300 Count||$13.11 ($0.04 / Count)||Buy on Amazon|
Strongest Painkillers for Tooth Pain
Narcotics of the opioids family are controlled compounds and for that reason dental professionals are normally careful about prescribing narcotic based drugs, just when they are actually needed due to severe pain.
Most Common Pain Relievers for Toothache
The ones that are recommended the most typically include drugs like oxycodone, codeine, or hydrocodone which are agents acting on the main nervous system.
- Codeine is a controlled substance, since it is metabolized by the body into morphine, which is an extremely addicting substance if not used as prescribed or if its usage is extended over a few days.
- Oxycodone is another strictly controlled substance, typically prescribed for post-surgery dental pain.
- Hydrocodone is much more powerful than other tooth pain medications, used for painful tooth infections.
Painkiller Pills for Severe Tooth Pain
Opioids have actually been found to have increased efficiency when integrated with NSAIDs or acetaminophen. The most recognized toothache medications of this classification, used for severe dental pain, include:
- Tylenol 3 – Most likely the most prescribed toothache medication, Tylenol 3 is a combination of codeine with acetaminophen.
- Vicodin – Another popular tooth pain medication, Vicodin combines acetaminophen with hydrocodone (5 mg of hydrocodone + 500 mg of acetaminophen).
- Vicodin ES – A more effective combination of pain relievers consisting of 7 mg of hydrocodone + 750 mg of acetaminophen.
- Percocet – It integrates the pain relieving effects of 500mg acetaminophen and 5mg oxycodone.
- Percodan— A combination of aspirin and oxycodone.
Your dental professional will write you a prescription for the most appropriate toothache medicine depending upon the dental issue you have and the level of pain you experience, and give you the correct usage and dosage guidelines in order to offer adequate pain relief decreasing any possible side effects.
Antibiotics – Toothache Medicines for Infections
When there is a bacterial infection such as in case of an abscessed tooth, pain medications can alleviate the tooth pain but they can not treat the infected tooth. You will likewise have to take antibiotics to combat the infection. Many typically used antibiotics for dental issues include:
Toothache medicines – Safety concerns
As other medication, tooth pain medicines might cause undesirable side effects specifically when not used according to the dental professional’s directions.
- NSAIDs – The most common short-term side effects of NSAID usage are upset stomach, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Long-term use of NSAIDs, has been linked to gastrointestinal distress, kidney damage, and cardiovascular problems. NSAIDs ought to not be used in combination with particular high blood pressure drugs since the interaction might lower their effectiveness.
- Tooth pain medicines consisting of aspirin ought to not be used by children because they can increase the risk of establishing a major health condition referred to as Reye’s syndrome.
- Acetaminophen can cause liver damage if the suggested dose is exceeded.
- Over-usage of pain medications that contain codeine, oxycodone or hydrocodone such as Vicodin and Percocet can cause drug dependency. These drugs are controlled by the Drug Enforcement Firm and their purchase is allowed by prescription just.
- Masking the pain caused by a tooth infection with strong pain relievers without checking out the dental expert will just make the infection worse and the damage to your teeth might end up being irreparable.
Precautions on Using Toothache Painkillers
As other medication, toothache medications may cause unwanted side effects especially when not used according to the dental practitioner’s directions.
- Prevent taking any tooth painkiller without consulting your dental professional or your physician, especially if you take any drugs for other health conditions too.
- Never ever go beyond the advised dosage. Even the over the counter toothache pain medicines can cause severe health issues in case of over-dosage.
- Prior to taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, particularly aspirin, ensure that you have a complete stomach or take an antacid to prevent having your indigestion.
- Do not put aspirin straight versus the gums near the aching tooth, as it might cause a chemical burn to the gum tissue.
- Never ever consume alcohol while you’re utilizing pain-killers.
- Narcotics can also make you drowsy or act strangely. If you take narcotics, you ought to let those around you know you are doing so. Likewise, you should limit your activities (driving, operating machinery, etc.) while taking narcotics.
- Toothache medicines should not be used as a mean to purposely delay or avoid the see to your dental practitioner. Continuing to manage tooth pain with medication and postponing treatment, may cause not only major dental problems and tooth loss, but it can likewise result in serious basic health problems.